Monsoon School 2023
Monsoon School 2023: "Generating impact in complex coastal and marine contexts: co-design and development of transdisciplinary research projects in a Global North/South perspective"
November 1st - 10th, 2023
International Ocean Institute Germany (IOI) in collaboration with the Leibniz-Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT)
This 1.5 week training course will be all about collaboration and co designing . A focus will be on tropical coastal settings as examples of urgent sustainability challenges and complex social ecological systems.
- You develop and implement a transdisciplinary research project and plan which will increase societal impact.
- 8 days full of exchange with leading international academics, practitioners and experts in knowledge transfer and communication at the science/policy interface.
- Intense program of transdisciplinary backgrounds, concepts, and methods.
- Learn about different models of impact pathways, developing a theory of change and how to tackle inequality.
- Train your transferable skills about communicating science to various actors and audiences.
- Meet other international early career scientists and continue building up your network.
A central lecture takes place daily from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. CET, which is to be attended by all participants. In the further course of the day, practical individual and group work gives you opportunity to network with your program fellows while following up on class work and developing the transdisciplinary component of an existing or future project. Find the full agenda here.
Who can apply
We invite applications from PhD candidates and post doctoral scientists worldwide and from various disciplines in the field of marine research, ideally in or anticipation of the “design” phase of an own project. Please outline your motivation why you want to learn about transdisciplinarity and submit a project idea or potential case study. Prior experience in transdisciplinarity is not required, preference will be given to participants with concrete project ideas.
Dates: 1 - 10 November 2023
Application deadline: 15 September 2023
Upload your letter of motivation, project idea or potential case study, and a short CV to: https://forms.leibniz-zmt.de/Wordpress/?page_id=1035
Sebastian Ferse (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Achim Schlüter (email@example.com)